Monday 19 January 2015

Completing the loop...

Over the past few years I've enjoyed a number of 'wee strolls' around parts of Loch Leven, and a number of boat trips out to the Castle where Mary Queen of Scots was famously imprisoned. I'd been really looking forward to 'completing the loop' when the full 13-mile path - the Heritage Trail - round the loch was finished.

I love the different sections of the walk - from open views to secluded woodland, the Loch Leven Heritage Trail really offers a variety of scenery. It is so accessible and the path is in great condition. 

I got my chance on Friday. I wanted to challenge myself to see whether the walking - and other keeping fit type things like running (albeit slowly) and going to zumba - have paid off. I wanted to test my fitness and see what I could do. I wanted to get out there in the fresh air and push myself.

Fortuitously it was a beautiful day, but I knew I'd have to get moving if I was to get round the loch in daylight - I didn't start until 1.20pm. Dave dropped me off at Kirkgate Park, and I made a slow start - I was too busy taking photos of the glorious weather!

I startled two deer just outside Kinross House, and it's a real shame I didn't get my camera ready in time to get the shot of them looking at me. Thankfully, they wouldn't be my last deer of the day!

Once I got into my stride I was setting quite a quick pace for myself. Although it was a beautiful day the paths were quiet - I had to remind myself that it was Friday and not yet the weekend. I felt very lucky to have the chance to be here on a day such as this. Life is about moments like this, surely.
 
 
 
 
I stopped occasionally to take photos, but on the whole I kept my steady pace going for 13 miles and I was really chuffed that I felt a lot fitter than I did at the end of the last year.
 
 
I saw my third deer of the day at Findatie. I was tipped off by a fellow walker who'd spotted the deer as he walked the opposite way. I'm glad he mentioned it as I would probably not have noticed otherwise! I loved that the deer was framed perfectly in the gap in the trees.
 
After passing Vane Farm Nature Reserve, I was out onto the most exposed part of the path. By this time the sun had dipped down behind the hills, and although it was still light, it was very cold. I employed the 'gloves AND mitts' tactic to keep my hands warm, and got my head down.

 
It was great to walk along the new section of the path (interesting zig-zags just after the shelter/viewpoint!), but it was soon to get a lot more tough.

 
It had been so sunny earlier in the day, but now it started to snow. The path was extremely icy under foot - there was a lot of water and puddles from earlier rainfall that had frozen over. Now there was snow over these icy puddles, and I had to really watch my step. I learnt this the hard way (the only way to learn) after slipping on ice and going down reasonably hard on my right hand and knee. At this point I decided to put my camera - which had been round my neck - back in my bag!

 
Where I fell!
It was really quite difficult to get round the ice sometimes, as the grass was very waterlogged and icy too. I also found this out the hard way; as I stepped from one clump of grass to the next, I got my footing wrong and was plunged shin-deep into the icy depths. Brrrr!
 

I knew I wasn't far from Kinross. It was getting dark and I was looking forward to reaching Kirkgate Park. I managed to get a shot of the pier - somewhat submerged!

Dave picked me up from Kirkgate Park around 5.10pm, so I was really chuffed to have finished 13 miles in less than 4 hours. I was really encouraged by the pace and it was just one of those days when I was feeling really good!

I wasn't too sore afterwards, although the hot shower was simply amazing!

The next day I had quite a pain at the top of my left leg, which I think was probably from the fall (I didn't feel it at the time!). Thankfully by Sunday I was pretty much feeling back to normal, although wabbit I have to say!

However, I wanted a challenge and I felt a million times better having completed the trail. The fresh air, the miles, the feeling of achievement, and the boost to my spirits cannot be underestimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment