Monday 18 February 2013

What a difference a week makes...

I was determined after last week's efforts to follow through on my promise (my promise to myself that is) to walk all the way from the flat to West Linton. From home to....home. I couldn't stop thinking about it all week - it gave me a focus, something to aim towards.

I've been hinting for a while now but perhaps hadn't said 'out loud' what my bigger goal is. Because I am aiming towards something rather big. At the end of March I will be walking the West Highland Way. My plans are almost entirely finalised, I will be heading out to Milngavie and hoping to return from Fort William, a week and 96 miles later.

So it has been crucial for me to get out and about as much as possible, and 'up my miles' as I keep saying. I try to walk to and from work, about a half hour walk, every day. Occasionally I get the bus but for the past two weeks and counting I've got there on foot everyday. It's a short distance in the grand scheme of things but I know it helps as the weeks go on. I'm a bit of a pavement pounder, walking much faster than I realise I am. I only realise when I arrive extremely sweaty at my destination!

The idea of walking from the flat to West Linton, the village I was brought up in, has been on my mind for a while. I was so pleased to get out last weekend and do the section beginning at Harlaw, and chuffed to make it through the snow. This week, Dave was joining me and Sunday was the day.

We awoke to sunshine - it was going to be a glorious day for walking! We had our kit all ready and left the flat at 9.36am on the dot. It was a nice feeling to leave the car keys where they were.

We headed along the canal towards Slateford. The nice weather had brought people out already - rowers, cyclists, walkers, families. There was a chill in the air but it only takes a hint of sunshine to improve the mood of the masses.

Reaching the Water of Leith Visitor Centre we began to make our way towards Balerno. There were lots of running men passing us as we went, including one of the Proclaimers! (Reminds me of that Frankie Boyle classic - "How can I look like ONE of the Proclaimers, they're twins you *****" - insert your own swear word). Around Currie we found our cut-through To the Pentlands:

Now we were in unknown territory...neither Dave or I really knew exactly where this path would lead, but we were sure we'd get to the hills eventually!

The path was lovely actually, winding its way through trees and a babbling stream. We came out onto a quiet road and headed along to our right. Soon we saw signs for Bonaly and Torphin, and there were plenty of cars parked. We kept going, heading for Harlaw. For not the first time - and definitely not the last - I thought to myself, what a difference a week makes. The road to Harlaw was jammed with cars - the carpark itself stowed out. The sunshine had brought people out in their droves.

We reached Harlaw after two hours and 10 minutes of walking. Knowing I had the best part of 4 hours walking to go, this was an interesting feeling. We both felt good, but we knew what was coming. The first hurdle was that ****** (insert your own swear word) tree-lined hill I'd struggled up last week. It hurt after half an hour of walking, so it was going to hurt after 2 and a bit. The stroll alongside Harlaw and Threipmuir reservoirs was nice, and again a lot of people and dogs around. We stopped for a banana and energy boost before tackling The Hill.

Actually it wasn't too bad. And it was over quickly. And after it was conquered, we were into the hills - yay!

The difference in a week. Last week I made fresh tracks on blank snow. This week, this is where I'd made those tracks:



It was a bit muddy underfoot - and we'd planned to put our gaiters on upon reaching the Pentlands - but it wasn't nearly as bad as the week before.

Our jackets off the whole way, we sauntered our way towards West Kip and enjoyed the beautiful blue skies and sunshine.












We stopped to refuel a number of times along the way but made good progress, and all of a sudden we were within hearing range of the A702.

Confident of my route this week, I picked the logical path to Nine Mile Burn. I could see clearly the way I'd gone last week and was glad I didn't have to go that way - it still looked incredibly muddy.


looking back to the hills

looking ahead to the Moorfoots
We reached Nine Mile Burn far quicker than I'd done the week before. We headed along the Roman Road and I shook my head at my silliness last week. I have to say, the tarmac was tough going. The soles of our feet were struggling and pounding away on the road again was torture.

By the time we got to Carlops I felt in pretty bad shape. We'd been walking into the sun all day, I had a headache and my legs hurt. I actually couldn't face the next 2 miles.

A roll and an orange later, I felt more up for it. Or to be more accurate, I was ready to get it over with.

We'd been walking for around 5 and a half hours and West Linton was almost in our sights.

A very welcome sight then bounded towards us:



Robbie!
Dad and Robbie had walked out to meet us! We strolled slower (as fast as Robbie could go) towards home, arriving there around 6 hours and 10 minutes after we'd left the flat. Our feet were sore but we were happy, impressed with our efforts and grateful for the pancakes that awaited us!

Thanks must go again to Alun, whose route we were following - I got it right this week! Thanks Mum for the lift back into Edinburgh (only fair really since I'd carried a bottle of wine for you all the way and hadn't even been tempted to open it!).

I was far too exhausted to blog last night, and I anticipated a sore day today. However neither Dave or I have felt too bad - perhaps tomorrow it will hit us harder? I'm really pleased to have done this walk, it was great fun and truly a lovely day to be out there.

This weekend's rugby will put paid to any big walk plans but perhaps it will be a good time to stock up on the supplies I need for the West Highland Way and get myself more walk ready. 96 miles here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment