Sunday 10 February 2013

A slightly different way of walking home for lunch...

Since I am now determined to 'up the miles' in the coming weeks, it was imperative that I got out there this weekend. After a mere 2 hours of pavement pounding last weekend, I was keen for a 'proper walk'.

Lunch was booked for 1pm on Sunday in West Linton and all week I was formulating a plot of fitting a walk into the lunch plan and the various rugby games that take over this time of year. Right up until Saturday I was swithering about the best way to go, knowing that a really long walk would involve a very early start. I'm desperate to get some 20 mile days under my belt, but this weekend I just had to accept that I'd have to make the most of the time I had.

On Saturday Dave and I decided to get some pre-rugby fresh air. We walked up Colinton Road to Redford Barracks, along to Colinton Village, and then alongside the Water of Leith all the way to the Visitor Centre at Slateford. We then took the steps up to the canal and walked back to our flat. It was a good wee stroll, enough to get the blood pumping and to justify an afternoon of watching rugby. Our blood continued to pump all the way through the Scotland v Italy match - what a result!

When my alarm went off at 7am this morning I was not impressed. We'd had a late but great night in North Berwick with friends, and now I was attempting to drag myself out of bed and to the hills. It was a struggle, but I managed.

I'd decided to drive to the carpark at Harlaw and pick my way through the Pentlands all the way to West Linton. I'm sure there will be Gore-Tex markers along that same way in the coming months/years, but for now I was finding my own way. Well, I say my own way, but without the help and advice of Alun (crazy West-Highland-Way-in-under-24-hours athlete) I'd have literally been lost. Thank you!

I left my car just after 8am and set off at a blistering pace towards the reservoirs of Harlaw and Threipmuir. Wisps of snow fell around me, and didn't stop for the rest of the day.

I enjoyed this part, and I knew where I was going (always puts my mind at ease) after a day in the Pentlands with Dad last year. I also knew there was a long steep tree-lined hill coming up that I was not relishing...then I got there.

It was tough coming down this time last year, and I knew it would be a tough slog going up. It was!

Soon it was over. I turned right at the top, and then I was really heading into the hills and into the snow. After that, I really had some fun. There's just something about making fresh footsteps in the snow that brings out the inner child in you!

trying to increase my mileage...


I was all alone out there. I was feeling good and excited about what was ahead. But I started to struggle after a while, the snow taking its toll. I couldn't tell if I was walking over mud or water, and my feet were slipping around. It was quite a lot of effort! I was warm but my face was cold, the snow falling around me.

There was a slight incline, and I had a feeling I'd get some views once I reached the brow of the hill. Soon I did, and was excited to see the Kips.


Thus began another section of cross-country walking, slipping through the snow and mud. I was heading for the base of West Kip (for a brief moment I considered going up but the views were non-existant, the atmosphere bleak, and the sweat dripping).


Being so close to West Kip brought back very good memories from a day in December 2011 when Mum, Dad, Dave and myself battled our way over the Pentland Peaks on an incredibly windy day. I'm keen to do that again, when the weather improves.

From West Kip I knew I wasn't too far from Nine Mile Burn. I knew there were a couple of routes to get there, and of course I picked the one I hadn't intended to follow. However, it took me a less direct route, which was good because it added to my mileage that little bit more. I did find it quite disorientating in the snow, as the paths weren't clear and visibility was quite low. Nine Mile Burn was like a mirage, appearing in the distance but not getting any closer no matter how far I walked.

By this point I was getting into really clatchy territory. I had slipped my way down a hill cursing the snow. Now I was into the fields and trudging through disgusting mud.

At this point - and from this point onwards - I was most grateful for my boots, and especially for my gaiters. There were moments I was ankle deep in mud.

I finally reached Nine Mile Burn and I think I was bit delirious by this point - hunger and fatigue setting in. I was searching for a route towards Carlops that didn't involve a road, but logic and the snow failed me. I tramped through fields, jumped over a river and startled some sheep. Eventually I ended up at a farm - phew, I must be at Carlops, thought I. Oh no, I was just a bit further along from Nine Mile Burn. And onto an old Roman Road leading to Carlops. I was relieved to be back on track. I was annoyed at myself for taking a seemingly silly detour. I was even more muddy:

And finally. I was so overjoyed to see this sign, and know I was close.

I reached the village of Carlops at last, and entered the beautiful Scottish Borders.
I was relieved to see my Dad walking towards me. He'd set off from West Linton earlier, and walked out to meet me. I don't think he thought he'd have to go all the way to Carlops, but then I didn't anticipate my foolish jaunts that led me in a circle.

I finally ate the food I had in my bag and we made our way to West Linton, 2 miles away. By the time I got home, I'd been on the go for just over 4 hours, and I was feeling pretty tired! The hot shower was most welcome and the Golf Club carvery was a much needed treat!

Next week, with a bit more time available, I may attempt the same walk but starting from Polwarth, heading along the canal, up the Water of Leith and into the Pentlands that way. For now, I'm tired but pleased with my day's efforts. Thanks again to Alun for route guidance, and to family and Dave for general support team stuff!

My route

No comments:

Post a Comment